St. Hilda’s & St. Hugh’s School Playdeck
MBB expanded and transformed this rooftop space to create separate zones for active ball play, outdoor learning, and young children. All three zones incorporate seasonal variation with plantings that offer changing colors, smells and textures throughout the school year. The zone for young children includes a variety of play equipment including fixed and changing elements, while the active ball play zone incorporates printed banners to transform the character of the enclosure. The outdoor classroom at the north end of the roof incorporates a planted wall and wood seating, opening to views of the Hudson River through a large glass partition.
The playdeck won a 2017 American Society of Landscape Architects-NY Collaborative Design Award with RKLA Studio, and a 2013 SARA/National Design Award of Honor.
Photos © Frank Oudeman
- The Chicago Anthenaeum2015 American Architecture Award
- 2015 AIA New York State Design AwardsAward of Merit
- 2014 Interior Design Best of the Year AwardsFinalist - Education: Youth
- 2013 SARANational Design Award of Honor
- 2009 Society of American Registered Architects/NYDesign Award of Excellence in the Interior Design Category
- 2009 BSA/AIA-NY K-12 Educational Facilities Design AwardsAward for Design Excellence
- 2005 Boston Society of Architects/American Institute of ArchitectsCitation for Design