St. Hilda’s & St. Hugh’s Upper School
After completing a master plan, MBB embarked on a series of additions and phased renovations that enlarged and transformed the building while allowing the school’s operations to continue uninterrupted throughout the academic year. A warm but durable material palette provides the required flexibility to create varied environments for music, movement, art, language and academic instruction. A sheltered and secure entry leads to a gracious lobby featuring display cases carefully designed to show students’ artwork to best advantage.
Enlargements to the building include a new alumni center that transforms a windswept roof into a flexible multipurpose space flooded with natural light. This space is equipped with carefully integrated audio-visual systems and has adjoining storage and pantry spaces to support a wide range of events.
- The Chicago Anthenaeum2015 American Architecture Award
- 2015 AIA New York State Design AwardsAward of Merit
- 2014 Interior Design Best of the Year AwardsFinalist - Education: Youth
- 2013 SARA/NationalDesign Award of Honor
- 2009 Society of American Registered Architects/NYDesign Award of Excellence in the Interior Design Category
- 2009 BSA/AIA-NY K-12 Educational Facilities Design AwardsAward for Design Excellence
- 2005 Boston Society of Architects/American Institute of ArchitectsCitation for Design
Photos © Albert Vecerka / Esto / Peter Aaron