St. Patrick’s Cathedral
The conservation of St. Patrick’s Cathedral was a multi-faceted undertaking spanning 10 years, $175 million, and a campus that occupies an entire city block. The Cathedral is a designated city, state, and federal landmark, and one of New York’s most visited destinations.
The all-inclusive project scope included preservation of exterior and interior surfaces-marble, slate, metalwork, ornamental plasterwork, decorative woodwork, cast stone, and stained glass-as well as the new glass doors at the Fifth Avenue entrance. The campus infrastructure was upgraded with a seamless insertion of sustainable systems, including a state-of-the-art geothermal heating and cooling system. Upgrades to the campus landscape accommodated new hidden infrastructure while creating new garden and terrace designs.
The entire project was conducted while the Cathedral remained open for daily masses, welcoming the five million visitors who pass through its doors annually.
The result is so conspicuously glorious that it makes Rockefeller Center look suddenly shabby by comparison. When Pope Francis steps into the high, cream-colored nave… he will see a building overhauled by hand and eye, a monument to fine-grained labor.
- 2019 AIA NationalCOTE Award
- 2018 Glass MagazineGlass Magazine Award
- 2018 Chicago Athenaeum MuseumAmerican Architecture Award
- 2016 AIA NationalHonor Award
- 2016 AIA NYCMerit Award
- 2016 New York Landmarks Conservancy Lucy G. Moses Award
- 2016 Municipal Arts Society of New York MASterworks award for Best Restoration
- 2016 ArchitizerA+ Awards Special Mention
- 2016 Faith & Form/IFRAAReligious Art & Architecture Award
- 2014 Copper Development AssociationNorth American Copper in Architecture Award
Select Publications & Interviews
- Retrofit Magazine | July/ August 2019Landmark Cathedral Goes Green
- Architectural Digest | April 23, 2019How to Tackle Safety Risks Rife at Historic Sites Around the World?
- Fox 5 New York | March 18, 2019“St. Patrick’s Cathedral dig deep for modernizing” TV clip
- National Trust for Historic Preservation | 27 November 2018Minimalist Glass Insertions to Improve and Preserve St. Patrick’s Cathedral, by Jeffrey Murphy
- Glass Magazine | September 2018, Vol. 68 Num. 8Innovations in Glass
- High Performance Buildings | 12/04/2019St. Patrick’s Cathedral, New York, New York by Jeffrey Murphy
Photos © Chris LaPutt © Raymond Pepi © Whitney Cox © John Baer